Put things bright

Saturday, January 7, 2012

B.O. NO MORE!!!!

Alright, I have B.O., yep that's right, body odor.  I've always had to use deodorant soap and the strong deodorant, I think it's called the clinical kind, you know the EXPENSIVE KIND!!!! So as I got into all of this homemade stuff I came upon some homemade deodorant and just HAD to try it.  First I tried spraying on rubbing alcohol....that lasted one day and I had you guessed it BO by the end of the day.  So I poured that alcohol back into it's original bottle and went back to the expensive deodorant.  I will say that it said you had to give your body about 3 weeks to adjust but you see I love my husband and I love when he hugs me and I just didn't feel that being stinky for 3 weeks was the best thing for our marriage. 

A few weeks later I came upon this deodorant recipe.  As I read, the blogger talks about having made many different natural ways and none worked so I decided to try it and HALLELUJAH IT WORKS!!!!  It smells like heaven and so do I!!!  Then the tough test had to be passed....his name is Tito, my husband!  So one day after work I made him stick his nose in my pit and tell me if I still smelled good.  He approved and said I still smelled great!  Ok, now you may be thinking....come on Stacy, he's your husband and he's supposed to say things about how beautiful you are and you always smell like roses.  Well I don't know what your man is like but let me tell you about mine. 

First and most importantly, he's WONDERFUL!  I've never felt more beautiful, loved and as happy as I do with Tito but he's also honest!!  I need this kind of man who will get in my face and say....uh you're crazy woman!  Balance is really great in a marriage and I need that in your face kind of guy.  So anyways, he'll let me know if I'm STANKIN'.  He appreciates my homemaking insanity and the money it saves but he's the best person to tell me if it really works or not.  Maybe I should set up how many Titos my products win!  Sort of like how many stars you can rate something.  Deodorant gets 5 out of 5 Titos!! 

The blogger somewhere wrote why to use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch but I can't find it so I will write it here from memory.  Some cornstarches have talc and is believed to cause cancer...see the link.  They do have cornstarch that doesn't have talc.  I haven't really looked for it so I'm not sure how easy it is to find but I do know how to get your hands on arrowroot.  At HEB, the local grocery store they have spices in bulk and they had it there.  It's really cheap but buy more than the recipe falls for because the recipe may not be exact and you might have to add a little bit more to thicken it up. 

Make sure that you watch her video on how to make it, it helps! I added the peppermint and tea tree essential oils just like she suggested and I think you should!  Tea tree oil by itself smells awful but it's smell gets masked by the coconut and peppermint oils.  Also, if you don't like the smell of coconuts, you're crazy but that's beside the point.  You can by the refined kind and the smell is gone.  Good luck and enjoy your good smell!!!

*Update:  This was making me itch a little bit under my arms so I have made some adjustments as she suggests on passionatehomemaking.com.  Here's how she said it:
<< I am having issues with an itchy rash under my armpits. Any solutions?
Baking soda can be an irritant for some people. Try decreasing the baking soda by 1 Tbsp and replacing with more cornstarch/arrowroot powder. Itchiness can also often be related to applying this too soon after shaving. Wait an hour or two after shaving to apply. Add 1/4 cup shea butter or cocoa butter to the recipe for its healing benefits is another alternative. You also can try using arrowroot powder as it is more natural on the skin or make sure to choose a talc-free cornstarch. The final option is to apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel/juice to your skin for its healing benefits before applying the deodorant. It will help cool, refresh, and prevent irritations to the skin.>>

I did all of them, I added cocoa butter.  The verdict is still out so I'll let you know but here's me in my apron making it, the cocoa butter I used (it really does smell like chocolate, I, for some unknown reason never put together that it was actually from cocoa.....uuuhhhh duuuhhh Stacy) and a picture of it in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment