Put things bright

Monday, January 9, 2012

Whole chicken

Do you have a husband who loves protein?  My husband does!  He always says, "I need PROTEIN!"  I am always trying to save money on meat and have found that chicken drumsticks are really cheap but take FOREVER (meaning more than 10 minutes) to cook.  So I've pulled out the old crock pot and gone nuts! Here are a few recipes I've found and have been a HUGE hit! 
1) Super Garlic Chicken Legs
2) Chicken legs with some broth and random spices turned on low for about 7 hours (mine)
3) Whole chicken, haven't tried this but I can't wait to try and they have several recipes! *Update:  I did this and it's awesome! I suggest adding a lot more spices than she does.  I put some cut up onion, garlic and carrot along with some salt and random spices.  Then I made the stock like she suggests.  I put it in ice cube trays and then popped out the cubes and have them all in a freezer bag.   I grab a couple whenever I need them.  Today I made some awesome rice!  It put in about 10 cubes plus some water to make up for the rest of the liquid I needed and alson some chopped up red pepper, onion and garlic, salt and olive oil.  It was so good! 


Chicken stock frozen cubes
4) Baking a whole chicken:  I copied the way my Chef Bro made our Thanksgiving turkey the year before and boy did it turn out well.  Inject with Tony Chachere's Marinade Injectables, stuff the chicken (or turkey) with quatered lemons and oranges, and push some fresh rosemary, thyme and lots of ooey, gooey butter under the skin.  Bake for a few hours.... slice or tear if you are me and ENJOY!!

This stuff is really stinkin' good!
Comment on any other good, frugal recipes you have whether chicken, crockpot or not!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment