Put things bright

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Laundry Detergent

All of this insanity started with homemade laundry detergent.  A friend of mine uses a liquid laundry detergent where you grate a bar of soap and pour boiling water over it.  It makes something like 10 gallons for $4.  That may be a little off but the point is it's CHEAP!  Well, I detest liquid laundry detergent because I'm not the world's most coordinated person and that stupid liquid gets everywhere. So began the search for a powder detergent and what I found was a couple of geniuses who have made a website that they have turned into a book.   While I have not bought the book, I have used a ton of their ideas and all of them are EXCELLENT!  Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent
My adaptations/suggestions:
-For ye of little patience -  Grate the bar of soap with a food processor.  This however leaves the pieces large and you will have to run the grated soap and powders in the chopping mechanism of the food processor to get it to a good consistency. 
-Essential oils that smell good - Lavender, lemon and lavender mix, sweet orange
The whole process takes 10-15 minutes and leaves clothes smelling fresh and clean!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yea - I'm so excited you've started this blog! I've been dying to try making my own laundry detergent - but I've heard rumors from multiple friends that the homemade stuff leaves your clothes looking dingy. And I LOVE my bleach and white whites. So, have you noticed this or do you think that it's just as powerful as Tide and the store-bought stuff? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! So good to hear from you! I have found NO difference between my homemade detergent and name brand. Don't give up on bleach! I'm about to post about homemade fabric softener! Check it out! I hope you are doing well! Tell Danny hi!!

    ReplyDelete