Put things bright

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Miracle Oil

Really, if you think about it, the stuff God makes is better than what we make. I'm not sure why I always thought all natural stuff was kind of a hoax but I'm beginning to believe that I've been spending money, to much money, on a lot of stuff that God makes much better and much cheaper than we do.

So, without further ado please, please, please read this about coconut oil: I'm truly amazed!

Here's a few ways to eat it from How to Peel an Onion:

1. Pour a tablespoon of melted coconut oil (per serving) into the blender as you finish off your smoothie.
2.  Substitute coconut oil for butter in baked goods.
3. Spread coconut oil on toast to substitute for butter – this is really nice topped with your favorite jam.
4.  Make popcorn using coconut oil – it’s delicious! Melted butter over the popcorn is a great way to add extra good fats and also disguises the coconut flavor for those who are less than excited about it. If you do like the taste of coconut, you can also use melted coconut oil in place of melted butter to coat the popcorn!
5.  Spread softened coconut oil on bread for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches – this is a great way to sneak in the germ-fighting goodness of coconut oil into those school lunches!
6. Mix a spoonful into cooked oatmeal, along with with your usual toppings, like cream and honey.
7. Add a spoonful to warm drinks, like herbal teas or my personal favorite: a warm infusion of fresh grated ginger, lemon and honey. (To make the infusion, pour boiling water over the ginger, lemon juice and honey and let steep for 3-4 minutes before adding the oil.)
8. Add a bit of melted coconut oil to yogurt with honey, mixing well.
9. Saute and roast vegetables in coconut oil in place of olive oil.
10. Coconut Oil Fudge from Passionate Homemaking – this is a great chocolatey treat! I give these to my son as a reward for taking his cod liver oil and as a dessert – it’s super healthy and delicious (and using raw honey makes it even better for you!).
11. Added by Stacy:  Passionate Homemaking has another great idea, Healthy Peppermint Patties.  I keep them in the freezer and one or two hits the spot after dinner for a little sweet something.  It's one of those things that I don't really want a ton of so it helps me not gorge on other sweet things. 

If you don't like coconuts go to the How to peel onions link above and it has some ideas with some that don't taste like coconuts.
Go on out and get you some!!!

*Update:  Last night I found this blog....Crunchy Betty...check out her blog about Coconut Oil.....WHOA DUDE WHOA!

1 comment:

  1. I heart coconut oil...can't wait to give these a try...and thank you for bringing this wealth of knowledge right to my fingertips:)

    ReplyDelete