Put things bright

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Essential Oils...AMAZING!!!

Let's start with essential oils because they are in almost everything I have made.  What are essential oils, you ask?  Yeah, so did I!  Here is a site that I have found some really great info on and how they define essential oils:
Aroma Web  An essential oil is a liquid that is generally distilled (most frequently by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils, contrary to the use of the word "oil" are not really oily-feeling at all. Most essential oils are clear, but some oils such as patchouli, orange and lemongrass are amber or yellow in color.

As you can see in the picture, they range in prices.  These bottles are 1.4 ounces (if my eyes are working trying to read that picture).
I use the amazing liquids for everything from acne, athlete's foot (yeah, I'm one hot little lady but I am still human and get athlete's foot on occasion), to cleaning products for the homestead.  I haven't even begun to scratch the surface on what you can use these for but I plan on continuing to research and find new uses. 

Where do I buy essential oils?  I live in the Houston area and have found them at my local grocery store that has a huge organic section but they also have a smaller selection at most grocery stores in the organic section.  If you have a local natural food store they will most likely have them there.  They are easy to find.  I'm pretty sure that Wal-mart has some.  They come in small bottles but last FOREVER so even if they are a little expensive, trust me, it is worth the money!  You will only have to use a few drops because they are SUPER concentrated. 

Here's a list of how I have used them a couple just to give you an idea:
-Tea Tree - apply to athlete's foot for a quick cure, apply to canker sores in mouth (beware of REALLY nasty taste that lasts for a few minutes.)
-Peppermint - Place on forehead to relieve headaches.  I have tried this once but it didn't work, my disclaimer is that I have migraines and I think that even a small headache for me is pretty intense for your average Joe so give it a try.
-Lemon - homemade laundry detergent, household cleaners
-Lavender - homemade laundry detergent or fabric softener

Essential oils can also be used for aromatherapy, disinfecting, and for medicinal purposes. 

Disinfecting Essential Oils

Make sure that you research the safety of all essential oils before you use them.  Some are not good for pregnant women, sensitive skin, etc.  My blog should ONLY be used as an introduction and NOT as your only information source.  I have only just learned about these myself.

Easy Aromatherapy Recipes

I think that this about sums it up but I will keep you updated on what I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment