Put things bright

Monday, January 2, 2012

Fabric Softener

You are really going to think I lost my mind when I write what I use as fabric softener but I swear it works AND smells good. Ready for this???  Vinegar!  I know, here's what you are thinking, "Stacy, seriously?  That stuff smells like $*%^&#$%!!!!!!!!!!  No really, it works!!  Here's why:

1) It cleans the soap scum and lime deposits in your washer and if you live where there is some seriously hard water like Houston that's really awesome!
2) It helps avoid static in the dryer.  (Again, I like in Houston and static exists but isn't a huge deal, so I need someone in Dallas or farther North where you actually experience humidity below 90% and let me know if it really helps or not.) 
3) It KILLS smelly stuff.  Confession time--I have a horrible habit, much to my mother's dismay, of washing clothes and leaving it in the washer for several days.  My wonderful mother has tried to convince me all my life that the smell will permanently stay in the clothing but this vinegar KILLS it!  Also, if you get a little case of stinky shoes (again, I am human) it kills that too!  Stinky trashcan?  Pour some in there with water and wait half an hour or so dump and take a big whiff!!  AND...with the homemade insanity going on at my house I am saving all of my containers I use, jars, dishwashing soap bottles, etc.  I had a hard time pouring a household cleaner into a jar that smelled like pickles or spaghetti sauce SOOOO....guess what I did?!?!  Pour about a tablespoon of vinegar into the jar and fill it with water.  Put the lid on, give it a little shake and wait several hours (I usually wait about 24 hours). 

Moving on...
The website says to use 1/2 cup to 1 cup but I have a Downy ball and just fill it to the fill line.  The essential oils you use leave the clothes smelling great especially if you use the same scent in your detergent, I'm currently using Sweet Orange and it smells sooooo good!  

I tried the dryer sheets on the website, they do smell good but don't help with static.  I think maybe they were just for the smell and I just assumed they were for the static.  I have also tried these dryer balls except I bought them at HEB, they didn't work for me except to make a lot of noise.  Good luck and let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment